The Egyptian government, keen to encourage investment in the Sinai peninsula and in the cities along the Suez Canal, intends to construct a $US1bn tunnel beneath the canal at Port Said, carrying a rail track and two road traffic lanes. The planned location is 19km south of the canal’s northern entrance. Existing crossing points are restricted to a rail bridge, a road tunnel and a road bridge near Ismailia. According to press reports, the new scheme is not to be funded with state money.
Leave a Reply
- TRANSNET MAINTENANCE BACKLOG October 14, 2014
- CT METRORAIL CRIME – 2,115 ARRESTS October 14, 2014
- METRORAIL TICKET FAKERS ARRESTED October 14, 2014
- PRASA PROFIT R336 MILLION October 14, 2014
- UMGENI STEAM RAILWAY October 14, 2014