The Egyptian government, keen to encourage investment in the Sinai peninsula and in the cities along the Suez Canal, intends to construct a $US1bn tunnel beneath the canal at Port Said, carrying a rail track and two road traffic lanes. The planned location is 19km south of the canal’s northern entrance. Existing crossing points are restricted to a rail bridge, a road tunnel and a road bridge near Ismailia. According to press reports, the new scheme is not to be funded with state money.
Leave a Reply
- WEEKLY RAIL XPRESS NEWSLETTER March 31, 2015
- GEORGE-KNYSNA LINE March 31, 2015
- SHOSHOLOZA MEYL INTERCITY SERVICES March 31, 2015
- DUAL-PURPOSE S A RAIL & ROAD BRIDGES March 31, 2015
- JAZZ FESTIVAL SPECIAL March 31, 2015