Following a media briefing, the Sunday Times listed the following as Transnet's new board of directors:
• Mafika Mkwanazi, former Transnet chief executive (chairman);
• Don Mkwanazi, former chair of the Friends of Jacob Zuma Trust;
• Peter Moyo, a director of the Amabubesi Group;
• Nunu Ntshingila, CEO at Ogilvy SA;
• Nolwazi Gcaba, director of Transnet's Second Defined Benefit Fund;
• Tembakazi Mnyaka, Black Management Forum deputy president;
• Nazmeera Moola, head of macro strategy at Macquarie First South;
• Peter Malungani, founding member of the Tsogo Sun group of hotels;
• Israel Skosana, executive director and chairman of Kapela Investment;
• Doris Tshepe, managing director and practising attorney at Cheadle Thompson & Haysom;
• Juergen Schrempp, CEO of Katlheho Capital GmbH;
• Ellen Tshabalala, member of the presidential advisory council on Black Economic Empowerment;
• Harry Gazendam, senior executive at Toyota SA; and
• Michele Fannuchi, logistics consultant.
The Sunday Times noted that Moyo, Ntshingila and Gcaba were directors of Transnet's previous board. According to the paper, the SA Transport and Allied Workers' Union (Satawu) criticised the list, saying the new board 'lacked the necessary transport and logistics knowledge. It also expressed disappointment with the board's mix, saying it was skewed towards big business and the private sector. But the president of the Black Management Forum, Jimmy Manyi, welcomed the board and said the forum was'pleased with the diversity'".
The paper commented: 'Mkwanazi, who also sits on a committee advising President Jacob Zuma on the future of state-owned entities, led Transnet for less than three years before he was replaced by Maria Ramos and it is widely agreed that he did not leave the organisation in good shape. Since Ramos left to join Absa, Transnet has been without a CEO for more than 22 months.'
The first batch of six locomotives to be deployed on Kenya’s much anticipated national Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) line arrived in the port of Mombasa aboard MV Kota Bistari from China on 7 January...
Qalaa Holdings has confirmed that preliminary negotiations are on-going with several prospective local and international investors for the sale of its stake in Rift Valley Railways (RVR). The company...
A Transnet freight train, traveling from Kimberly in the Northern Cape to Mafikeng in the North West Province, derailed near the Madibogo station late last month. The derailment has been attributed to...