“Metrorail has been experiencing major delays on its commuter services. Two weeks ago, Monday, all trains through Langlaagte ran about 40 minutes late (if they ran at all). On the Friday of that week, the second Soweto Business Express (the four-coach one that leaves at 17:25) was creeping southbound around the Benrose loop at 17:55 [...]
on September 14, 2009 in South Africa
on August 3, 2009 in South Africa
Metrorail is planning a business express rail service to link Pietermaritzburg with Durban. KwaZulu-Natal MEC for transport, community safety and liaison Bheki Cele announced this when tabling his R5 billion budget in the provincial legislature on 24 July – five days before his appointment as national commissioner of police. It is hoped to introduce a [...]
on July 15, 2009 in South Africa
I’ve been using the Business Express running from Johannesburg to Pretoria and back for a while now, and am very impressed. It leaves 6.55am and returns 4.05pm. You can park right on platform 12 at Joburg station, where the train departs from, which I regard as safe enough (and extremely convenient). (The entrance to the [...]
Metrorail’s new Tshwane 2nd Business Express, a non-stop service from Johannesburg to Pretoria and back, is to be launched on 1 June 2009. Travelling at speeds up to 120km/h, it will carry commuters between the two main stations in under 60 minutes, connecting with a dedicated bus between Pretoria station and the CBD. The 520-seat, [...]
on September 5, 2008 in South Africa
Metrorail’s 530-seat Pretoria-Johannesburg “Business Express”, introduced in May 2008, is running at capacity, with monthly tickets sold out. The provision of a second train is planned before the end of the year. Factors contributing to the popularity of the express obviously include the steep rise in fuel prices and the intolerable levels of congestion on [...]
on July 25, 2008 in South Africa
The 530-seat Business Express introduced by Metrorail between Pretoria and Johannesburg on 12 May has been very well received – so much so that a second fast train is planned for the route shortly. The Business Express train provides complimentary refreshments and newspapers, as well as internet connections for laptop computers. Each coach has a [...]
on May 9, 2008 in South Africa
Metrorail’s new Business Express train was launched this week at Pretoria station by Transport Minister Jeff Radebe who said: “We want to make it a possibility for all South Africans, regardless of their social class, to use Metrorail.” It is hoped that the service will encourage young professionals to abandon their cars and take the [...]
- NEW BUSINESS EXPRESS May 21, 2009
- RED SEA TO THE ATLANTIC January 15, 2010
- GAUTRAIN TO OFFER BURSARIES March 15, 2006
- SHOSHOLOZA MEYL WINTER FARES June 1, 2007
- BUSINESS EXPRESS – 2ND JHB-PTA July 25, 2008
- RAILWAYS & HARBOURS CONFERENCE & EXHIBITION ATTRACT MAJOR PLAYERS May 16, 2013
- GOOD IMPRESSION FROM NEW PAINT May 15, 2013
- NEW TFR TRAIN CREW UNIFORM May 15, 2013
- ACTOM AND ALSTOM SIGN TECHNOLOGIES AGREEMENT May 15, 2013
- TFR AUCTION 9 MAY 2013 May 15, 2013
- L Penning.: I agree with the unions that the assistants get va...
- Jo: I agree 100% with the Editor\'s remarks. I may als...
- Jo: How can Carlisle decide that a Gautrain service is...
- Richard Clatworthy: Looking up some of the places on Google earth: Isa...
- Richard Clatworthy: Your report on 01/02 on the Tanga-Uganda railway g...