To complement the west-to-east London Crossrail project currently under construction, a south-west to north-east cross-city tunnel scheme is planned that would cost an estimated £12 billion. Crossrail 2 would take in areas such as Wimbledon, Kingston, Twickenham, Hackney, Islington, Tottenham, Cheshunt and Hertford East. It would link with major interchanges including Euston, Victoria and Clapham Junction, substantially lessening congestion on existing tube lines. According to planners, some journey times would be more than halved. Mayor Boris Johnson is quoted saying: “The case for the construction of Crossrail 2 is incontestable”.
Leave a Reply
- TRANSPORT IS GAUTENG’S TOP PRIORITY January 27, 2015
- ELECTRIC TRAIN RUNNING ON EMPTY January 27, 2015
- EASTERN CAPE COAL ON HOLD January 27, 2015
- EVERY CONCEIVABLE CONDUIT January 27, 2015
- TOURISTS – DO WE WANT THEM? January 27, 2015