To complement the west-to-east London Crossrail project currently under construction, a south-west to north-east cross-city tunnel scheme is planned that would cost an estimated £12 billion. Crossrail 2 would take in areas such as Wimbledon, Kingston, Twickenham, Hackney, Islington, Tottenham, Cheshunt and Hertford East. It would link with major interchanges including Euston, Victoria and Clapham Junction, substantially lessening congestion on existing tube lines. According to planners, some journey times would be more than halved. Mayor Boris Johnson is quoted saying: “The case for the construction of Crossrail 2 is incontestable”.
Leave a Reply
- LAND TRANSPORT ADVISORY BOARD (LTAB) FOR CT September 16, 2014
- NATIONAL SHORTFALL IN RAIL FUNDING September 16, 2014
- CT’S LTAB ON RAIL PLANNING September 16, 2014
- METRORAIL COACHES OUT OF SERVICE September 16, 2014
- UMGENI STEAM RAILWAY September 16, 2014