To complement the west-to-east London Crossrail project currently under construction, a south-west to north-east cross-city tunnel scheme is planned that would cost an estimated £12 billion. Crossrail 2 would take in areas such as Wimbledon, Kingston, Twickenham, Hackney, Islington, Tottenham, Cheshunt and Hertford East. It would link with major interchanges including Euston, Victoria and Clapham Junction, substantially lessening congestion on existing tube lines. According to planners, some journey times would be more than halved. Mayor Boris Johnson is quoted saying: “The case for the construction of Crossrail 2 is incontestable”.
- TRANSNET CEO MOVES TO ESKOM April 21, 2015
- TRANSNET FREIGHT RAIL APPOINTMENTS April 21, 2015
- CAPE MAIN-LINE SHUTDOWN April 21, 2015
- PASSENGER TRAIN UNDERINVESTMENT April 21, 2015
- BLUE TRAIN – MOTHER’S DAY SPECIAL April 21, 2015