Ansaldo STS Australia is to supply equipment enabling the operation of the first fully-automated, heavy-haul rail network in the world. The technology will cost A$481.86 million to implement, and is due to come on line in Western Australia in 2014. Worth A$317.5 million, the contract – for Rio Tinto’s iron ore operation in the Pilbara region – includes developing and delivering a modular signalling system with centralised “Vital Safety Server” for the safe and flexible management of train movements. A special on-board driving module will enable complete automation of train operation.
- TRANSNET CEO MOVES TO ESKOM April 21, 2015
- TRANSNET FREIGHT RAIL APPOINTMENTS April 21, 2015
- CAPE MAIN-LINE SHUTDOWN April 21, 2015
- PASSENGER TRAIN UNDERINVESTMENT April 21, 2015
- BLUE TRAIN – MOTHER’S DAY SPECIAL April 21, 2015