On 21 February, KwaZulu-Natal premier Zweli Mkhize talked at the opening of the provincial legislature in Pietermaritzburg of plans to establish a railway rolling stock “refurbishment and manufacturing facility”, to take advantage of the multibillion-rand infrastructure development programme announced by President Jacob Zuma. According to Mkhize, investments of more than R5bn over five years are planned for the province, including a “KwaMashu-Umlazi north-south rail corridor” and a business express service between Pietermaritzburg and Durban. It is hoped to commence the latter in April, he says.
Leave a Reply
- TRANSNET MAINTENANCE BACKLOG October 14, 2014
- CT METRORAIL CRIME – 2,115 ARRESTS October 14, 2014
- METRORAIL TICKET FAKERS ARRESTED October 14, 2014
- PRASA PROFIT R336 MILLION October 14, 2014
- UMGENI STEAM RAILWAY October 14, 2014