On 21 February, KwaZulu-Natal premier Zweli Mkhize talked at the opening of the provincial legislature in Pietermaritzburg of plans to establish a railway rolling stock “refurbishment and manufacturing facility”, to take advantage of the multibillion-rand infrastructure development programme announced by President Jacob Zuma. According to Mkhize, investments of more than R5bn over five years are planned for the province, including a “KwaMashu-Umlazi north-south rail corridor” and a business express service between Pietermaritzburg and Durban. It is hoped to commence the latter in April, he says.
- TRANSNET CEO MOVES TO ESKOM April 21, 2015
- TRANSNET FREIGHT RAIL APPOINTMENTS April 21, 2015
- CAPE MAIN-LINE SHUTDOWN April 21, 2015
- PASSENGER TRAIN UNDERINVESTMENT April 21, 2015
- BLUE TRAIN – MOTHER’S DAY SPECIAL April 21, 2015